BIRDING & WILDLIFE
- Birds and other wildlife abound on the private
forty-acre tract surrounding A Little
Log Cabin in the Woods, which is specially managed
for enhanced wildlife habitat. The bird feeder near
the front porch gets lots of avian traffic.
- We are directly in the migration path of the Sand Hill
Crane. Sightings in the hundreds are frequent during
October, November and December, and again during the northern
migration during February and March.
- Patoka Lake is home to nesting bald eagles. Indiana DNR at the Patoka Lake Visitor Center
sponsors an Eagle Watch program in mid-January. Call for
- The Patoka Lake Visitor Center has guided nature walks.
- Common sightings at the cabin include a pair of flying
squirrels, wild turkeys, grey fox and
owls of several species.
- Binoculars and bird identification guide available.